Okay, it’s not that I hate blogs, I just hate blogging when I have nothing to say. Wait, when do I have nothing to say? Amend that…I hate blogging when I need to be witty and fun and I just can’t think of anything brilliant that any sane reader would want to read.
At the end of a long day of writing it’s hard to come up with anything creative. I’m tapped. The muse is sleeping.
But here are a few tips on blogging that I think are pretty important:
- Blogging isn’t a requirement in life or in publishing.
- If blogging feels like chore, don’t do it. You’re content won’t shine if you don’t love what you’re doing.
- Would you rather people spent time reading your blog or your books?
- If I see you lamenting that you -need- to blog, I’m not going to be very enthusiastic about your posts.
- Blogs needs variety. Give me variety!
- I’m busy. Keep it short, sweet, and to the point.
- Despite how cute your kids are, I’m not interested in reading an in depth timeline of their lives, sorry.
- I am however interested in learning new things. Picking up tips, recommended reads, things like that.
- So what have we learned? If blogging isn’t something you’re passionate about, don’t do it.
- Don’t waste your readers time with lack luster posts that would bore paint right off the wall.
- Do engage, educate, and entertain your audience.